Old November 5th 03, 02:48 AM
Art Unwin KB9MZ

If reactance can be seen as a "{missing" part
of a radiator how should we view what a
capacitor represents? Grin
Art

Cecil Moore wrote in message ...
w4jle wrote:
Current through a coil in an antenna.

If we feed an antenna at the current point, the current decreases as the
voltage increases along the antenna element from feed point to end..

That being said, a coil replacing a segment of an antenna (in order to
physically shorten it) will exhibit the same properties (relating to
currents) as the segment it replaced.

Yep, if the feedpoint impedances are the same and both are lossless,
that has to be true.

Here's a repeat of a diagram I drew earlier.

-----coil-----FP-----coil----- loaded dipole

Assume the physical length of the loaded dipole is 1/4WL.

Each coil replaces the section between 'x' and 'y'. The currents
at 'x' and 'y' are quite different, being 1/8WL apart.

Consider an 8 foot center-loaded 75m mobile antenna. 87% of the
electrical length of the antenna is in the coil.