Old November 4th 07, 09:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default ANTENNA QUESTION

In message om, Dloyd
Lavies writes
On Nov 3, 5:54 pm, "John Doe" wrote:
If you can't contribute anything positive to this question, then stay out of
it, with your trash!

I have a 10m base loaded mag mount antenna, that I had to put a piece of
felt over the magnet as not to scratch a new vehicle.

You are wasting your time trying to protect the paint when using a
magnetic mount. Grit will find its way under your magnet, and within
a year of normal driving, you will have scratched paint.

I used a 7" magmount for a 5/8 WL on 2m.
It had a rubber boot.
I used it most days to and from work, which involved putting it on and
taking it off twice each day. And then there was other use.
Each time, before I put it on, I wiped the mounting spot (in the centre
of the roof) with a soft rag (with maybe a bit of spit if nobody was
looking).
Four years later, when I got rid of the car, the mounting spot was
extremely highly polished, which (being a company car) is more than you
could say for the rest it.

--
Ian