Old November 5th 07, 12:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
nitespark nitespark is offline

Default Need advice

wrote:
New to ham radio. Need advice on first purchace. Was looking at Icom
706MKII as a base/mobile. Would appreciate opinions and reasons why

Many thanks

I own a 706MKII and am happy with it. Just to give you a "FWIW". Icom
first came out with the "706". From what I am told, it was an "OK"
radio although I have not used one. Icom then came out with the 706MKII
which has a vastly superior receiver over its predecessor. I have used
mine mobile and have taken it out of the country and operated DX
portable. The current version is of the 706 is the 706MKIIG. This
version offers UHF capabilities and from what I am told has a receiver
superior to the 706MKII.

Andy
WD4KDN