Old November 6th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
sparky sparky is offline

Default action to keep surplus flowing

On Nov 5, 1:34 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
patrick jankowiak wrote:

I have checked this and believe it is genuine, otherwise I would not
post it, and may the moderators castigate me if I am wrong. You judge.
The text is what I wrote to my friends. I'm repeating it here because
it's appropriate.

It is true, but it's been true for many, many years. I spent a lot of
time carefully resoldering cable assemblies that had been hit with bolt
cutters in order to demilitarize systems... spent time unbending chassis
and finding replacement meters for gutted ones.

==[][][]

The whole story and an appropriate and respectful form letter is here on
the GSBA site:

http://capwiz.com/sboa/home/

==[][][]

On the website, you just fill out a form and it automatically sends a
letter to the correct representatives.

I strongly support this, although I don't think it will do a whole lot
of good. The mangling of items to prevent military re-use has been
going on since Vietnam, and it's been excessive because the people at
the DRMO don't really know what the equipment is or what it's for.
--scott

I think the worst case I ever got was a Racal RA-17 that had all the
capacitors cut out because someone thought they might contain PCB
contaminated oil. That took a lot of hours going over the schematic
and any pictures I could get to put it together again.