Old November 8th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
scooterspal scooterspal is offline

Default Bonding help

Hello to all and thanks for any help you can provide me.

Some time back I looked into installing a wifi antenna on the outside of
my brick office building here in town. I would offer free wifi to the
immediate area, shops, coffee houses, etc. and perhaps get some free
advertising out of it.

When I investigated the installation of such an antenna I was stopped in
my tracks because of the bonding (grounding) requirements. The need to
install #6 copper wire from the antenna to the building ground on a
direct external-to-the building path was something I was not prepared for.

Yesterday, the lottery agency had a defent size (bigger than home size)
satellite dish installed on the roof of our building. There is a small
store upstairs from me and this will replace the phone connection they
had been using all these years.

As I look at the installation from the ground I can see what looks to be
the coax wire and a greenish wire leading from the dish mast to the base
of a vent pipe that has been on the roof. They lead in together at that
point. The store is below. The roof is an A-frame and made of wood as is
the entire building more or less.

Question: Is this to code? I do not believe it is since the ground wire,
if that's what it is, leads inside the building somewhere and not
externally to the main ground. If hit by lightning it would direct the
energy into the building which is wrong.

Second, it leads away from the building bonding point, which is down on
my ground level in the electrical room at one end of the building.

My hunch is it has been connected to a water pipe or electical conduit
in the ceiling or wall.

I'd like to call the town electrical inspector but I want to make sure
I am correct in this. The theory of bonding at least and the need for
an external lead to building bonding point.

Recently, a building was hit by lightning in town and the damage went
from the roof down three floors and was very extensive.

Can anyone advise me on this?