Old November 9th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Lux Jim Lux is offline

Default Bonding help

scooterspal wrote:
Jeff wrote:

That gauge of wire will not provide and sort of lightening protection
so it can only be there for electrical safety. Are you sure that is
requirement really applies to the type of installation that you are
undertaking?

At the time I looked into my needs I was directed to read the NEC
codebook... articles 800, 810, 820 and 830 that deal with communications
wiring.

Google for the Mike Holt Low Voltage Handbook. It covers all the NEC
stuff for grounding antennas.

FWIW, the NEC bonding requirement is NOT for lightning protection (at
least against a direct hit). It's more to insure that if something
energized touches the antenna, that the fault current goes somewhere
other than to someone touching a piece of equipment connected to the
antenna. Think of it as similar to the "green wire" third prong ground.

And, for many installations, the coax shield can serve as the grounding
conductor. For many cable TV/satellite dish installations, the coax
will be routed (externally) to a grounding block, where a short
continuous segment of aluminum or copper wire connects the coax shield
to the building's grounding point.

Note that there are probably millions of improperly grounded dishes out
there.