Old November 10th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David David is offline

Default Drake sw-2 vs. Sw-8

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 01:22:49 -0600, "Pete KE9OA"
wrote:

Although the Sync detector might be better (I am not sure, because I never
use them), I don't believe that the SW-2 is in the same class as the SW-8.
The SW-8 uses 11-element ceramic ladder filters for all of the I.F.
bandwidths, and it has a pretty strong 1st mixer. I am not sure if the SW-2
uses a strong mixer or not.
When I spoke to somebody at Drake when the SW-2 first came out, I was told
that this design uses an NE-602 for the 1st mixer. Although the 602 is fine
for the 2nd mixer if you have a crystal filter ahead of it, it just doesn't
have the IMD performance of other mixers.
The SW-2 appears to have quite a bit of collector value, but if you could
get ahold of the SW-8 for a similar price, the SW-8 wins hands down.

Pete

I'll be happy to trade my SW2 for an SW8. The SW2 used to be a good
MW receiver, but IBOC has limited its utility, as you cannot have both
sidebands on in SYNC mode. R. Netherlands says the front end is

The HD Warbler and the hash or fade-free DX...

http://www.mwcircle.org/res-receiver-drakesw2.htm