Old November 10th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David David is offline

Default Drake sw-2 vs. Sw-8

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 10:01:39 -0600, "Pete KE9OA"
wrote:

I just got through reading the review on the link that you provided. Thank
you for posting it. This is good that this receiver uses good quality metal
cased ceramic filters. It appears to use the same noisy synthesizer as the
SW-8, and it doesn't use the input bandpass filters that the SW-8 uses.
Still, for a cheap price it isn't a bad receiver.
I have an SW-8 (1994 version), and it isn't a bad receiver. One thing I like
about the SW-8 is that the LCD is illuminated with a Lumitex fiber optic
illuminator. Only one high intensity LED radiates into a fiber optic bundle
that fans out into a flat panel. The advantage here is that by changing the
color of the LED you can choose your own display color. I knew there was
some reason that I kept this receiver around!
I stand corrected in my original impressions of the SW-2. Although the SW-8
is still a better receiver, the SW-2 still seems to be a fairly good design.

Pete

You can work the passband against the SYNC detector by tuning off
center, in the opposite direction from the sideband chosen. This will
narrow the I. F. and lower splatter. It could use a 4 kHz filter for
AM/SYNC.