Old November 12th 07, 11:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Bob Bob Bob is offline

Default Stefan Wolfe (semi-OT)

Hi Rich

A further thought.. (Seeing that you have two issues)

Yes a 550 errmsg basically means no mailbox found for that user. This is
a common thing when reply to newsgroup addresses for reasons outlined by
others.

The reason for the non visibility of the post could be a slow NNTP
(news) server as Stefan mentioned. It might also be possible that your
server (or a feed to) is validating the senders reply address. This
would be highly unusual as using a valid reply address on a newsgroup is
generally asking for spam trouble.

Validating a reply address for normal email is used in quite a few
systems as a spam prevention method. Maybe the sysop of the news server
has tried to employ this on their news server? You could ascertain this
by checking if any other posts from rr.com (the same server as Stefan's)
are coming through.

Another possibility is that your newsgroup server completely blocks
feeds from certain others that are known to be spam etc sources.
Blacklisting mails servers is quite common so I expect (but haven't
checked) the same applies to news servers. I haven't looked into any of
this but it would be fairly easy to research.

Apologies for the length.

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

Richard Fry wrote:
Pardon the bandwidth, but can anyone provide a clue toward explaining
the situation regarding my email bounce below?