Old November 12th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Bob Bob Bob is offline

Default Stefan Wolfe (semi-OT)

Even more off topic.. Sorry!

I have to disagree with you Mike. Depending on how you publish your
email address you *may* attract machine generated email trash. My view
is that it isn't worth being blase about and steps should be taken to
minimize the risk. Farming of news articles is only source of such data
so whatever steps one takes has to cover other possibilities.

I personally use throw away addresses that when they attract too much
spam I simply change them. Many ISP's nowadays will let you have a
number of addresses so it is relatively easy to maintain a set of
"public" and "private" ones. At my place of work it is even easier as we
run our own SMTP/25 mailserver. I generate addresses whenever someone
needs to register or subscribe to something on line and dump them when
their persistent advertising gets irritating to us!

I agree however with your comment about hams and privacy. The VK
equivalent of the FCC also has an online database complete with full
address details! I am not hard to find, just difficult to get to!

Lets face it though, obnoxious people do need to be anonymous. I
certainly don't want to now them! grin

Cheers Bob W5/VK2YQA

Michael Coslo wrote:

"Anonymous" people so often have a reason for it, and it usually isn't
the one they tell you.
----
And a person interested in privacy should never ever be a ham.