Old November 12th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] VistaCruiser1977@hotmail.com is offline

Default Analog versus DSP

I'm in the market for a receiver after being out of the hobby for 15
years. After much research, I've narrowed my choice down to two rigs:
AOR-7030+ and Icom 756Pro-III.

I've never owned a IF DSP receiver before. I've owned an R4C, an
FRG-7, and a NRD-525 over the years, but never a DSP rig. Have DSP
receivers reached the point yet where they're a viable alternative to
the best analog rigs? I've heard that first generation DSP rigs, such
as the NRD-545 and the RX-340, have limited dynamic range (relative to
the best analog rigs) due to limited A/D chips. I consider good
dynamic range to be one of the most critical aspects of receiver
performance--do the newer DSP rigs address this issue?

My primary interests are utilities and DXing the MW and SW bands. I
don't do much, if any, program listening, so audio quality isn't an
overriding concern--I just listen long enough the ID the station.