Old July 21st 03, 04:03 AM
W5DXP

Roy Lewallen wrote:
It's important not to confuse the sort of pulses or steps used in TDR
with transient sine wave conditions.

Why? Do they obey different laws of physics?

TDR also (obviously) involves time domain analysis. But it's quite
different.

Why? Does a TDR obey a different set of physics laws?

The reflected wave will be a simple
replica of the incident wave, altered only in phase and amplitude.

Not if it contains random noise and all waves contain random noise.

TDR is a very valuable technique, providing important information and
illuminating insights about transmission line phenomena. But great care
has to be taken in extrapolating TDR observations to what happens in a
sinusoidal transient or steady state environment.

Why? Does a TDR obey a different set of physics laws than sine waves?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured