Old November 5th 03, 01:32 PM
Cecil Moore

Mark Keith wrote:
This is the way I view it, and why I couldn't automatically endorse
the fairly large difference they saw. Unless the coil is very long,
say as in a helical whip, I see it acting pretty much as a lumped
inductor. Sure, the current may vary some through the coil when it's a
foot or so long bugcatcher coil, but I don't see it being a major
issue. I wouldn't normally expect to see a sharp current taper across
the coil. I see that type of coil acting much as a "one piece" lumped
inductor, not as a many turned rf roller coaster ride. Not a perfect
lumped inductor, but close enuff for average gov work. MK

The round trip current phase shift in an electrical 1/4WL vertical must
total 360 degrees. If the coil doesn't perform part of that phase shift,
what does?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp