Old November 13th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Denny Denny is offline

Default Active receive 4 square and others

OK, well I have had EL and EZ from the early days to the current Eznec
+ v5 and I use it often.. (about as well as a cow tap dances)

And I have read the stuff I mentioned - and in particular, Tom submits
that a shortened, heavily top hatted, heavily R loaded, 20 foot
vertical element on 160, is free of major impedence shifts in the
presence of other objects/ antennas... So, one is free to infer that
perhaps one could simply insert a calculated length of coax between
two array elements to get a desired phase shift without calculating
for mutual coupling?

The impetus for this line of thought is this morning I was having
problems working VK land on 160 as the DX was only about Q3 at best
moments and Q0 at others... So, not hearing well I hesitated at the
critical moment of turn over and W1MK stomped on me...
I have a 4 Square active receive array but that lobe favors JA over VK
and I don't have a Beverage pointed in VK direction having gotten rid
of most of them after getting the active array...
Anyway, I am tinkering with a 4el endfire-broadside 70 x 270 spacing
receive array and the best pattern is with 135 degree phase shift

between the endfire elements - which is what prompted my question as I
know that if they were full size transmitting elements I cannot
blithely just insert a calculated 135 E degrees of coax and get the
wanted phasing...

Looks like I will have to put up a pair and custom engineer the
phasing line...
denny / k8do