Old November 15th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Kaliski Mike Kaliski is offline

Default RSGB RadCom December 2007 Issue

"art" wrote in message
Pat Hawker was the only part that I read but lately he seems to be
rambling.
The antenna reporter isn't really putting out anything of interest for
the
regular ham either tho I was pleased with the experimenting for QRP
I terminated my subscription to Radcom this year because there rarely
was anything else that was interesting. Wrote them a letter earlier
this year
but they didn't even acknoweledge it.
Have been to the HQ by the way at St Albans or was it Hatfield?
Art

Mike Kaliski wrote:
Those that can get access to a copy should look at the Radio Society of
Great Britain, RadCom Magazine, December 2007 issue, Technical Topics
column
by Pat Hawker G3VA. The topic? 50 Years of amateur antennas. He covers a
lot
of the perennial topics of debate in this newsgroup and provides some
excellent commentary on element lengths, feedline lengths, SWR, ATU's,
modes
of operation and some of the controversy. Okay, it has probably all been
covered elsewhere in books, on websites and in this newsgroup, but there
is
a lot of useful information condensed into a couple of pages. Almost a
substitute for Kraus and Terman! :-)

Mike G0ULI

Hi Art,

That is true, but he has been a columnist for years and years, and there
must come a time when you start to go round in circles. Rather too much
emphasis on low noise mixers and old valve circuits for my taste but
sometimes there is a real gem, like this month. The homebrew column that has
been appearing for the last few months has been very good and very
practical. The head office is in Potters Bar, just off the M25 motorway.
They have quite a nice station that licensed visitors can operate, with
prior notice. The staff are always friendly but are rather busy all the time
so are not really in a position to stand around having long chats.

Cheers
Mike G0ULI