Old November 15th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default RSGB RadCom December 2007 Issue

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 02:47:05 -0000, "Mike Kaliski"
wrote:

It seems that everyone was so busy laughing on this newsgroup,

Hi Mike,

As well crafted a line for trolling as any....

that no one
has actually provided any information as to whether any detailed research
has ever been carried out as to what is going on within the radiating
elements of an antenna.

This, as the lawyers would say, argues a fact not yet in evidence.
Your statement appears to be one that can only be satisfied by meeting
a string of conditions:
1. The actuality of "actually," who is the arbiter of this? This
group has long experienced denial by inventors that their theories
have never been "actually" disproved. "Actually" is one of those
rubbery words that fits any argument that lack definition;
2. "detailed research?" Another qualifier that invites the rejection
of any contribution for lacking unspecified requirements;
3. "what is going on?" Now THERE is a technical goal for detailed
research to be provided as information.
4. "within the radiating elements?" Is this to presume there is some
distinct radiation from "within" elements? This would be a remarkable
measurement achievement to tease it out from the rest. [Could we use
a Gaussian sieve?]

There is loads of theory in the text books, but I

If you moved to the fiction shelves would you say there is loads of
drama in them? [More to the matter, what would you expect?]

have yet to see any empirical measurements or results.

Of what? Actual detailed results of what is going on within radiating
elements?

Help us out here. What instrumentation would be used? What units of
measure would be employed? (In "what is going on" are we talking
about Ohms, Volts, Amperes; or swimming, having a party, or getting
laid off?). What qualifies as detail? How would we recognize it
being actual?

I am aware of the
research into small loops carried out by Professor Underhill (also published
in RadCom) but it seems that even his results have been disputed.

Hmm, tantalizing, but how do small loops relate to "what is actually
going on?" More so, where within the loop did Professor Underhill
make his measurements, and what were they of? [I might point out
here, editorially, that little content was posted by you up until this
point, and it has evaporated following its solitary mention. If you
stripped out everything, and simply fleshed out this sentence into a
paragraph, it might be meaningful.]

I may have submitted the post, tongue in cheek

Then the joviality that your post heralds is merited, isn't it? This
is called leading with your chin.

, to stir things up a bit, but
on reflection there seems to be something of merit in the idea.

As your post seems to be wholly unrelated to the topic, and apparently
a stream of consciousness from another thread, then this idea is
adorned with rather vague suggestions.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC