Old November 16th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Heil[_2_] Dave Heil[_2_] is offline

Default Best wire for long wire antenna

Roy Lewallen wrote:
"Best" has a number of different definitions depending on the particular
situation. If you want wire that'll never stretch or break and will take
a lot of tension, Copperweld is hard to beat. It's springy and a
nuisance to work with, though.

In this day of high copper prices, my two favorite antenna wires are
free wire and cheap wire. We had a fellow near here who, until the past
year or so, was selling 500' spools of insulated #14 or #12 for five or
six bucks per spool. I ran better than ten spools for my 80 and 160m
inverted L's and stocked up for inverted vee wire.

A less expensive alternative might be the hardened aluminum fence wire
in the larger diameters, allowing for some means of preventing the
corrosion from copper to aluminum at the feedpoint.

Dave Heil K8MN