Old November 16th 07, 11:09 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner
PhattyMo PhattyMo is offline

Default Longest distance for Scanner Reception

radiosrfun wrote:
"David" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 05:28:12 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Enjoying my new scanner, recently listened to the traffic generated
after a young man
attempting to rob a bank, was pursued and speedily captured by New
Yorks Finest.

I occasionally pick up New Paltz N.Y. over 70 miles away on my Uniden
BC 95 Scanner;

( Truck stuck under the toll booth )

Even though I am ~ 300 feet above sea level, I find this remarkable.

Go a rat shack Center loaded whip,

am waiting for Fair Radio to send me some co-ax

http://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php...item&item=1291

so I can mount the whole thing in a window . .

Is there any record for long distance reception on scanners; ?

BarnegateDx

During the '90-'91 Gulf War, monitors in the continental USA were
receiving Kuwait on the VHF Low band.

If the conditions are right, I can receive the Fire and Police Services from
the Santa Monica and Orange County area of California - and I live in PA. A
school friend of mine - went out there once to work and told me he heard our
neighboring county out there - on their radio system. We're talking close to
3000 miles. It doesn't happen often, but it has a few times. Jupiter Florida
is another we can hear on occasion - over 1000 miles away.
That one comes in fairly often during storms. Otherwise, we have freqs in
our scanner that do routinely pick up - at least 100 miles away.Using an
"indoor" antenna. BUT - the strange part is - if you're ready for this - "I"
know "why" it happens; we can't pick up the city 40 miles from us - at all.
WHY? We live behind a hill blocking them completely off. If we go 3 miles
down the road - we can pick all of their stuff up on a portable scanner.

FM can be very interesting.........

A friend who is a dispatcher for a local 911 center says that they will
randomly pick up Emergency-Comm signals from other centers in different
states. Seems to happen fairly frequently.