Old November 17th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

Default A novice type question

I am making various test set ups of different style antennas
which l was a whip style antenna I will procede with testing when
the weather gets in the zero area when I do not expect to venture out
much.
This weeks antenna is a whip style antenna which can be used as a
mobile.
The tests that I anticipate doing is some progressive time cycles of
key down tests all the way up to legal max. This weeks antenna
turned out to have a 250 ohm resistive impedance and I was thinking of
using
a commercial style toroid with multiple taps so I can cover a variety
of antennas with different impedances.( Most are well below 250 ohms)
I have no experience with whip style antennas and was wondering if
there
were any precautions that I should take and whether a single toroid
would be O.K. to use. Some of the antennas will be placed on a fold
over tower
and some will be just above ground level where I have a tube inserted
into the ground
where I can put in different antennas that I have made. Testing will
be done
on bands 160 thru 10M during quiet times to minimize interference.
Wire used on antennas is #18 insulated wire of a household type.
Any pointers would be usefull as I have not performed key down tests
before.
I also intend to have a monitoring camera so I don't go thru to many
8877's
Regards
Art