Old November 17th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

Default A novice type question

On 16 Nov, 17:31, "Hal Rosser" wrote:
"art" wrote in message

I am making various test set ups of different style antennas
which l was a whip style antenna I will procede with testing when
the weather gets in the zero area when I do not expect to venture out
where I can put in different antennas that I have made. Testing will
be done
on bands 160 thru 10M during quiet times to minimize interference.
Wire used on antennas is #18 insulated wire of a household type.
Any pointers would be usefull as I have not performed key down tests
before.

What is the purpose of your 'tests'? That was not made clear in your post.
To just "key-down" using different antennas without a specific purpose makes
it appear that you are testing some sort of impedence-matching device. Don't
forget to Identify yourself with your call sign during the testing.
As for the toroid transformer - multi-tap sounds pretty useful.
I have wound my own toroid transformers, and they worked fine - covered 10m
thru 80meters but I've not used more than 100 watts - I have even used some
of those TV baluns (twin-lead to coax) - and they hold up well at low power.

I have made some different type of antennas and I want to be sure that
they don't melt.
This apparently is not unusual for DIY antennas. Seems like I remember
that you should use
two toroids for top band but I am not sure why. Don't usually use
bands other than
14M Hz up. Read today that a commercial transmission line that
radiates is now available ( see
Antenna magazine on line that came out today)Not sure where it is used
tho it would be usefull
for the new amateur antenna design which does not require a ground
plane.
Regards
Art