Old November 17th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Low Noise receiving Loop antenna

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 10:30:06 -1000, Tony Giacometti
wrote:

Richard, I use a vertical antenna, for transmitting its great, does a fine
job, but for receive, with the noise in the neighborhood, its not the best
option. I have tried to use an ANC-4 noise reducer but the noise isn't
reduced enough to hear the weaker signals.

Hi Tony,

Leaving that aside for others to comment....

So, what to do, I followed the instructions for building the loop from W2YR
and KN4LF and from this link
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx.../coaxloop.html

There is a world of opportunity in making a mistake with this monster.
It goes a long way to do something difficult that could be done vastly
easier.

As I wrote previous I have 2 good preamps but the signals are still very
weak.

You state that there is no gap. The page you supply clearly shows
gaps at the top of the two loops. Anything you hear is a function of
the poor shielding. By your description of your construction, you
shouldn't be able to hear anything at all!

Have you ever built one of these?

No, not one of these (there are too many frogs to kiss them all).

I don't have room for a beverage but if I am unable to solve this loop issue
I will probably have to consider a K9AY array which will force me to move
other antennas around on my 1/3rd of an acre.

A solution is vastly simpler than that - and you can still build a
loop. Google for more designs and submit them here for review (the
one you provided rates low on the sanity scale).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC