Old November 18th 07, 10:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tony Giacometti Tony Giacometti is offline

Default Low Noise receiving Loop antenna

wrote:

On Nov 17, 7:31 pm, Tony Giacometti wrote:

I am thinking I should take another look at the receiver and make sure it
does'nt have something strange going on.

I do appreciate your input.

You are getting a peak so the loop is tuned.. I doubt the
receiver is the problem, or you wouldn't hear the noise
peak. So it's down to pretty much what Roy just said at this
point. You need to check the nulls. And if the noise
is multiple sources, it can only do one at a time, unless
two are in the same exact direction, or exactly 180 apart.
So it might, or might not do what you want.
The null should be very sharp. Just a slight movement
can cause quite a change in the depth of the null
on a local noise source, so the aim has to be near
perfect for best results.
MK

this is the part that tells me it may be working ok, but the signals even
with the preamp are very low. Some I can't hear at all on the loop but on
the transmitting antenna the signal is there but covered by the S7-9 noise
level.

I have this feeling I don't know what I am supposed to experience from a
working loop.

Anyone have a mp3 file which can show what happens using a loop?

Right now I am hearing very few stations on the loop amd not a one more than
a S5, with an S1 noise level. I hear a couple stations in the SS contest
from the west coast S5 on the loop no noise to be heard, on the
transmitting antenna S6 noise level and the same west coast station S7

I can hear the stations he is working but not well enough to work either on
the loop or the transmitting antenna. The stations he is working are in the
noise and I know they are there.

Does this sound right?