Old November 21st 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tony Giacometti Tony Giacometti is offline

Default Low Noise receiving Loop antenna

Owen Duffy wrote:

Tony Giacometti wrote in
news:bMednQ1HY8JTVN7anZ2dnUVZ_gGdnZ2d@hawaiiantel. net:
sorry, I'm not trying to be an ass here but the diagram I have shows 3
connections to the cap. 2 for the loop and one for the center
conductor of the feedline.

Is my diagram whats confusing the issue?

Here is a diagram of what I suggested:
http://www.vk1od.net/SmallTunedSquareLoop/index.2.gif .

The variable capacitor needs to be 0-400pF. The fixed capacitor should be
at least 1000pF.

If you couldn't arrive at this circuit from the word description, and you
aren't being silly, then it questions whether your intial construction
was based on misinterpretation of the original article.

Here is an even better idea:
http://www.vk1od.net/SmallTunedSquareLoop/index.3.gif .

There is only one change here, the inner conductor is bonded to the outer
conductor at the left hand side of the shield gap. Ask yourself why that
improves things... some will suggest it just halved the loop size, but it
hasn't.

Owen

I understand now, seeing your drawing clears it up for me.
No, I wasn't being difficult or silly, I kept thinking of how I have the
unit wired and I couldn't picture in my mind (senior moment?) the changes.
Anyway now I see what you are asking me to try and I will give this a try.
Hopefully tonite after work.

I will let you know the results. Thank You.