Old November 25th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
john john is offline

Default Receiver specs - are they meaningful

On Nov 25, 1:01 pm, wrote:
Receiver test data from
S = Sherwood
P = Passport
Q = ARRL QST mag

5 KHZ THIRD ORDER INTERCEPT DYNAMIC RANGE

dB
100P Icom IC-R9500
93Q Flexradio SDR-1000
82S AOR7030
80S Icom R7800
78S Icom R781
78Q/75S Icom IC-R756 PRO III
77Q/75S Icom 756 PRO II
77P Drake R8A/B
77S NRD 515
75S Drake R7
75S WJ-1000
74P WJ-8711
71S Icom 756 PRO
71S Drake R8
68S/66P NRD545
67S Icom R75
67S Drake SW8
64S Yaesu 7700 (similar to FRG7)
62S Icom R70/R71
55P Eton E1 portable
46S Ten Tec 340
43P WinRadio 313i

The above data is supposed to indicate which of your dream receivers
will get you that ultimate DX catch above all other receivers. In
practice, life is different: one of my pals had a SDR-1000 and I
didn't notice his logs reflect anything much better than other
fella's. A top DXer John Bryant used a Eton E1 on a DXpedition to
Easter Island and logged some of the best catches I have ever seen.
See:http://www.dxing.info/dxpeditions/easter_island_2007.dx

I have a pal who insists on DXing with an ancient battered Yaesu FRG-7
and i would rate his fantastic logs and high quality recordings
amongst the very best in the world, yet the FRG-7 is actually a very
poor receiver from a poor front end and sloppy bad filters point of
view. A few years ago a DXer won the prestigious Danish DC Club annual
contest with an equally modest receiver, a Yaesu FRG-7000.

A lot of my co DXer's are now using SDR-IQ's and achieving amazing
results, whilst the top rated AOR 7030 lads don't seem to be getting
much in the way of spectacular catches lately.

So what's the motto of this story; just this, don't worry about
receiver specs just concentrate on going on a decent DXpedition to a
good radio spot and make sure you get a decent antenna up.

Have fun and good DX

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whiphttp://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

right on john! i'm done searching for the holy grail of receivers - it
just doesn't exist - i am having more fun and catching the same dx
with my kaito 1103 than with my drake r8 or icom r75. infact there are
stations i can id with the kaito that i cannot make out on my drake r8
- go figure! the gap between portable and tabletop is closed. i am
patienty awaiting a new eton e1 - would not be suprised if my $50
kaito 1103 runs it neck and neck. good dx! john