Old November 5th 03, 06:13 PM
Roger Halstead

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 02:22:29 GMT, asdf wrote:

Jim wrote:

... must also agree with Doc, the odds are not
much better (or worse, depending on your outlook!) of hitting the
lottery. ...

Actually, I read somewhere that you're about 1000 times more likely to be
hit my lightning than to win the PowerBall. I would imagine it would vary
considerably depending on which state lottery you're comparing it to, but
I'd also imagine that lottery odds are in general much longer than being
hit by lightning odds (i.e. winning the lottery is much less likely).

Guess I'm gonna have to ask for better odds as my tower gets hit bout
3 times a year on average.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/tower.htm
There are taller towers around, but it's two miles to the nearest one.

Considering I never disconnect the gear I've had very little damage.
One direct hit really frazzled the end of the big 144/440 vertical,
blew off all the coax seal and tape, and even removed the plating from
all the connectors at the top of the tower. I did lose the front end
out of the 2-meter rig on that one. The water running out of the 9913
after the lightening removed the coax seal was at least as big a
problem.

One-of-these-days I'm going to get some static balls up there to see
if they make a difference.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)