Old November 26th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default NC-183D Query

K3HVG ) writes:

Why would you want to remove a good working product detector

Well, that's something to consider. I can only add that I collect and
restore (or have a try at it, anyway) these oldies to their respective
original condition/configurations. I suppose I could let this
particular unit, as-is. I did find that the ER article, same subject, is
apparently not the mod done, here. But, as I said, point taken.....

ANd realistically, the mod was made at the time the receiver was current,
or shortly after. That's when someone had an AM receiver they wanted to
use on SSB, so it made sense to modify it.

Decades later, people are less likely to modify rigs, since at this
point keeping them "pristine" is more important to them than actually
using the equipment.

Michael VE2BVW