Old November 26th 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default rankings of international broadcasters (chime in everyone)

In article
,
"tom k in L.A." wrote:

I would rate the international broadcasters as follows, based on
reception quality and quality of sound. Everyone else chime in:

1. Radio Netherlands
2. CRI
3. Radio Australia
4. RNZI
5. BBC

not ranked:
Deutsche Welle: A non-entity on radio these days, has pulled back too
much transmissions.

Voice of Russia: Broadcasts, but reception is absolutely terrible,
and their audio equalization has too much bass such that even when
reception is good, it is difficult to clearly understand.

1. Radio Netherlands
2. Radio Australia
3. Japan
4. Several USA broadcasters
5. Cuba. The music only now. The news used to be amusing.
6. A few central/south Americans. Music mostly.
7. New Zealand. I don't listen to them as much as I used to since they
started that DRM crap. Analog transmitter keeps crapping out.
8. Taiwan
9. BBC
10. Russia
11. China. They used to tell it like it is but now they are totally
dishonest these days so I don't listen to them.
12. There has to be at least 1,000,000 Chinese domestics and music
jammers. There is no avoiding them.
13. DPRK. They still tell it like it is from their very unique point of
view.
14. There is more.

I like the sound of the Russians with their retro audio and transmitter
artifacts and hum. They still sound like the good old days.

You should be able to get them OK. You must need some antenna work.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California