Old November 27th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Highland Ham Highland Ham is offline

Default Antenna rotator

It is generally agreed that by tracking the sun one gets approx 40%
more
'energy' from ones solar panels. Accuracy is not important. 10-20 degrees
tracking accuracy is suitable.

I have updated my solar page if you are interested:

http://www.flightsimulatorandhobbies.com/solar.htm

=============================
Tnx for above info , 40% additional energy is indeed worth it to have a
rotating system . I bookmarked your web site.
I have 2pcs 64W solar panels producing up to 8 Amperes together.
Together with a 150W max (12 Amperes) Wind generator they keep my 12V
SLA batteries happy ,except in a windless winter period (location
northern Scotland at 57 degr north)
I am now considering to put a 2V-200A lead-acid cell in series to get
minimum 14 V , since my TenTec Paragon transceiver (1980s vintage)
doesn't like supply voltage to be below 12.2 Volt
The solar panels have a rated capacity at up to 16.5 volts ,so with 14 V
(max 16 V) I can still keep them in parallel.
The batteries provide power to an up to 100W-RF HF Tranceiver ,a laptop
(via a DC to AC inverter),a Packet-TNC , a VHF- transceiver , desk
lighting and NiMH battery charger.

Frank GM0CSZ /KN6WH