Old November 29th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore[_2_] Cecil Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Loading Coils; was : Vincent antenna

Roy Lewallen wrote:
I see Cecil's temporarily run out of steam on his alternative theories
of transmission line operation and so has fallen back to his equally
imaginative pseudo-science of loading coils. I made and posted careful
measurements on this group long ago of a physically small coil to refute
some of the stranger claims being made.

Well, the subject was 75m bugcatcher loading coils", so your
choice of a "physically small coil" was already somewhat of
a straw man.

And Roy, you made the same mental blunder in your measurements
that Tom made. I have explained it to you before and you have
so far refused to listen or even read my postings so here it
is once again. Everyone is invited to think about what I am
saying and agree or attempt to refute it. Point by point:

A 1/4WL monopole over ground is known to be 90 degrees long.
The phase of the current changes by only a few degrees from
feedpoint to tip. How much phase shift (delay) in the current
would we measure in 30 degrees of a monopole? Answer: Only
one or two degrees. Why is there only a small number of degrees
of phase shift (delay) in the current in 30 degrees of monopole?
Because it is *standing-wave current* that is being used for
the measurement and the phase barely changes over the entire
monopole length.

EZNEC agrees. A 1/4WL monopole has 5.67 degrees of phase shift
in the current from segment 1 to segment 33 even though the
antenna is 90 degrees long and therefore has an inherent delay
of 90 degrees from feedpoint to tip. Standing-wave current
cannot be used to measure the delay through a wire.

So can that same *standing-wave current* be used to measure
the phase shift (delay) through a coil? Answer: No, standing
wave current cannot be used to measure the phase shift (delay)
through a wire or through a coil because the phase hardly
changes no matter how long is the delay through the coil or
through the wire (assuming coil and wire are 1/2WL).

Roy and Tom both used standing-wave current to try to measure
the delay through a coil. Such an attempt is doomed to failure
for obvious reasons and is a violation of the scientific method.

STANDING WAVE CURRENT CANNOT BE USED TO MEASURE PHASE SHIFTS
IN A WIRE OR IN A COIL BECAUSE STANDING WAVE CURRENT HAS
ESSENTIALLY NO PHASE SHIFT! THERE IS NO PHASE INFORMATION
IN STANDING WAVES!

There is absolutely no correlation between the phase of
standing-wave current and the delay through a coil or
through a wire.

What is the phase shift through a coil at self-resonance?
Answer: It is known to be 90 degrees at the first self-
resonant frequency, i.e. 180 degrees end-to-end.

What is the measured phase shift through that self-resonant
coil at the self-resonant frequency using standing-wave
current? Answer: That measured phase shift will be very
close to zero, nowhere near the known 90 degrees.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com