Old November 29th 07, 11:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio
DaveM DaveM is offline

Default Harbor Freight Clamp Meter

"Bill Jeffrey" wrote in message
DaveM wrote:

At any rate, HF used to stock a 10-turn range multiplier that made the
connection
connection easy. Basically, it's a
10-turn coil of #14 wire that's installed between the source and load. Your
clamp meter's clamp goes through the center of the coil.

Here's the one I cobbled up. I used #12 THNN wire, simply because that's
what I had lying around. The Hubbell connectors are a bit much, but
again that's what I had at the moment. The white (neutral wire) is
coiled and laced, and that's what the jaws of the meter clamp around.
The short black and green wires go straight through.

An easier way would be to buy a 6-foot 3-wire orange extension cord,
preferably with #14 conductors. Carefully slit and remove the orange
jacket from the middle 5 feet, and separate the conductors. Coil and
lace the white wire; cut the extra length from the black and green
wires, and splice the ends with heat-shrink.

Bill

Yep, that's a good job... Just make sure that you always clamp the meter
through the side of the loop that does NOT include the neutral. That would
effectively give you a 9-turn coil, since the current in the neutral wire is
counter to the current in the coil's windings.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is." - Yogi Berra