Old December 1st 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default Ferrite rod antennas

In article
,
Harry7 wrote:

On Nov 28, 9:58 pm, N9NEO wrote:
I am wondering if a large ferrite rod would be good antenna for maybe
MW and 160meter band. Would there be an advantage to using a few rods
glued
together?

In the "ARRL Antenna Compendium, Vol. 6", there is an article
describing a tuned, ferrite rod, magnetic receiving loop antenna -
"The Optima 160/80-Meter Receive Antenna" by Richard Marris, G2BZQ.

THE author glues ferrite rods together exactly as you propose.

I never built or used one so I cannot comment on its perforance.

Gluing them together is a bad idea as you can not control the gap
between the rods. This small gap will ruin the inductance of the
combined rods and as a consequence the Q of this antenna.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California