Old December 1st 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default Tempo one

K3HVG ) writes:
Dave Edwards wrote:
You are correct. There was an early one and a late one.
The black one is the later one...with a solid state module for the
modulator...instead of a particularly hard to find tube.

...Dave

wrote in message
I am restoring a Tempo one (ricebox boatanchor )transceiver ..It is a
light brown color ,saddle leather color actually..It is original
paint...Question: Were all Tempo one`s this color..or is there
something special about this one.All pictures that I find are black
and aluminum color ..tnx W4PQW

Pardon the butt-in, but how many 7360's might you need? Seems I have at
least two or three sleeves of them. Are they truly rare or expensive?
One of my old rigs used them but, as far as I recall, I have nothing
that currently uses them... at this time.

I don't know how "rare" they are in the scheme of things, but this
has been discussed here in the past.

The 7360 was really useful for some things, and since it was a specialty
tube, not so useful as a general purpose tube. Certainly not when
you were paying a premium for the specialty tube.

I gather it was relatively expensive at the time, and wasn't found in
general consumer electronic equipment. I know there were articles at
the time pointing out that there were cheaper tubes that did the
same thing, used in tv sets (for demodulating the color information).
Once something sees common use in a piece of consumer electronics, the
price is bound to drop.

It's over forty years since the tube was in its prime. So the only
use for the tubes at this point is to keep old equipment going. Surely
there's been attrition, as people toss out things they'll never use and
even die and the relatives toss it out.

I don't know where that leaves things. Because there may be enough
tubes hoarded from back then to keep all the equipment that is still used
that uses them going, since the amount of equipment that used them in
the first place was a nice finite number, and most of that has gone
out of use (and likely a good percentage of it has been tossed).

Michael VE2BVW