Old December 3rd 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D Peter Maus D Peter Maus is offline

Default As Telemon said:"You post about the strangest stuff".

wrote:

A friend is rebuilding a Triumph "Spitfire". While Lucas electric
certainly didn't
invent the short circuit, shoddy design and construction and evil in
general,
they clearly raised it Olympian levels.

Do you know why the Brits drink warm bear?

Lucas made their fridges.

Did you also know that the fan motors in many Ferarris were also made
by Lucas? Selected for their quality.

And that Lucas makes systems for the space program? Including several
motors on the shuttle?

They build to a price point, if requested. Most British purchasers
contracted to a price point. But if left to their own devices, Lucas
builds some of the finest hardware on the planet.

I got to dig into one of the radiator fan motors on my 308, a number
of years ago. It was one of the finest designs I'd ever encountered.
Build quality was superb. One of the carbon brushes had simply worn down
to nothing and had to be replaced. Everything else met factory specs.
Not bad for a motor that had seen some 18 years of service out of doors.

I had never seen a stock car that used two 6 volt batteries in series
to get 12V.
And positive ground...I had managed to avoid dealing with that for 56
years.

My MG's were like that. A real PITA, actually. And they were under
the floor behind the seat.

Charging them was quite the treat.

That was the first car I'd ever put a SW radio into. It was a Becker.
AM/FM/SW. Great fun. Driving a sports car on the open road, hood down,
and listening to John Peel on BBC.

Good times.