Old December 3rd 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Eric F. Richards Eric F. Richards is offline

Default AR-7030+, and some random thoughts.

Joe Analssandrini wrote:

The only situation where negative or pejorative comments are warranted
is when a particular receiver has a design or construction flaw of
which other readers here may need to be made aware. This could also
apply to poor performance experienced by an owner by a particular
manufacturer, service department, or dealer.

And this is exactly the reason why I obsessively "knocked" one
particular radio, because I found that, while it was a fine performer
when testing it at the shop, it fell far short when I put it to my
real-world use.

Unfortunately, it has a cult following, so if I mention its model
number, people crawl out of the woodwork to defend it.

As for actually shedding light on the situation, I got to talk to Bob
Sherwood (who does testing for PWBR) at a hamfest about it and he was
surprised at the things I described. He wondered if I had a bad unit.
By that time, I'd sold it already, so I couldn't let him have a look
at it.

The end result was that it was no longer worth my time to argue
performance against religious zealotry.

--
Eric F. Richards,
"It's the Din of iBiquity." -- Frank Dresser