Old December 4th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] r2000swl@live.com is offline

Default Ferrite rod antennas

On Dec 4, 5:41 pm, N9NEO wrote:
On Nov 30, 10:18 pm, Telamon

wrote:
In article
,

Harry7 wrote:
On Nov 28, 9:58 pm, N9NEO wrote:
I am wondering if a large ferrite rod would be good antenna for maybe
MW and 160meter band. Would there be an advantage to using a few rods
glued
together?

In the "ARRL Antenna Compendium, Vol. 6", there is an article
describing a tuned, ferrite rod, magnetic receiving loop antenna -
"The Optima 160/80-Meter Receive Antenna" by Richard Marris, G2BZQ.

THE author glues ferrite rods together exactly as you propose.

I never built or used one so I cannot comment on its perforance.

Gluing them together is a bad idea as you can not control the gap
between the rods. This small gap will ruin the inductance of the
combined rods and as a consequence the Q of this antenna.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California- Hide quoted text -

Telemon,

The rod isn't a closed loop like a toroid so the the gap on the rod is
the distance from one face to the other. If we start with say a 7"
rod then what difference is .050" of glue going to make when we glue
to together to make a 14incher? I was thinking of maybe a series
parallel combination of a dozen or so.

regards,
NEO

McKay-Dymic offered two ferrite loop antennas.
The DA5 covered MW, the DA7 covered LW and MW.
I own one that is on semi permanent loan to a neighbor.

It has a ferrite rod about .75" X ~12"or 14" long.
And by adding or removing turns on the coil on the rod, I could
easily get it to work up to 2.5MHz to receive WWV. It crapped
out around 5.0MHz, I could receive WWV on 5, but the sensitivity
was way down.

Storm wise sells large ferrite rods,and others have had good success
gluing similar short rods end to end and binding them like a group of
pencils griped in your hand.

The reason why the DA5 is on loan is Dallas Lankford's simpler active
dipole beat the snot out of it.

Good luck.
Terry