Old December 5th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
craigm craigm is offline

Default A Beginners Question

Frank103 wrote:

I would like to buy a portable shortwave radio with a whip antenna but
I've been holding back because I live in an area that gets mediocre
reception on my Sony reciever's FM tuner from stations 20 miles away; so
I'm really paranoid about buying a portable shortwave radio. My homeowners
association doesn't permit outside antennas. Here are several questions:

1. Can someone recommend a portable shortwave radio for under $200US that
works well.?

Sony 7600GR. Try,
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=1627439

2. Can I attach an indoor antenna to improve reception? What brand of
antenna?

Yes, for shortwave a 10-20 foot piece of wire can be used. You do not need
to spend a lot of money to get started. If noise is an issue, google
for 'shielded loop antenna'. You can also buy more expensive antennas. Try,
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant.html

3. I've tried several indoor antennas from Radio Shack to improve my FM
reception and none did anything. Can someone recommend a really powerful
FM indoor antenna?

I doubt anyone really can recommend one that works. However, if the stations
of interest are all in the same direction, you could consider mounting a 5
element yagi antenna for FM in your attic. (If your roof is metal this
probably won't work.) Google for 'fm yagi antenna'.

Thanks in advance.
Frank