Old November 5th 03, 11:09 PM
Ian White, G3SEK

Jim Kelley wrote:

"Ian White, G3SEK" wrote:
Since we have assumed a lumped loading coil, the current at the top of
the coil is the same 0.9A. But now the current distribution in the top
22.5deg is very different from the full-size case: it tapers much more
sharply, from 0.9A down to zero at the very top.

Right. But the discussion is about whether the lumped loading coil
model is accurate. Any conclusions based upon inaccurate assumptions
would probably also be inaccurate.

The discussion has had to take a step back, because we quickly
discovered that there isn't agreement about the properties of an
idealized lumped inductor.

Without that shared fundamental understanding of what "the lumped model"
is, it's hopeless to discuss whether or not that model is accurate for a
practical coil.

Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek