Old December 6th 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew, sci.electronics.cad
AF6AY AF6AY is offline

Default "MARTHA" RF/Microwave CAD Using APL -- Free!

From: (Doug White) on Sun, Dec 2 2007 6:22 pm

Spice is an interpreter.

Whatever. My point was as a homebrewer using a tool as an aid to
building something. SPICE and its derivatives (all individual
'wrappings'
on the Berkeley SPICE core) are VERY FAST. They work for me just
as SPICE works for thousands of other circuit designers, both pro
and amateur (I am both).

I don't mean to diminish any importance of programming languages
or any different CADs or CAEs, but, let's face it, APL is an old
high-level language.

Unix is an old operating system, yet it still seems to get a whole
lot of use. �APL is the ultimate programmable calculator. �It is a
beautiful language that can do beautiful things in a very succinct
manner.

Everyone has their 'favorite' high-level language, each one saying
that Their language is the best, most beautiful, and other fancy
sayings, complete with all sorts of academic praises and plaudits.

My new HP-35S isn't as pretty as the HP-32S II which is also on
my computer table and the programming commands aren't quite
compatible. Esthetics aside, I wouldn't trade either one of them
for SMALL programming tasks. What I want are the numbers
from the results so that hardware can be completed. Both do that
very nicely for what I want.

Perhaps if you actually had used it, you might think more of APL.

Perhaps if you had actually used LTSpice, a FREE download from
Linear Technology and actually built some circuits using the LTSPice
results you might think more of it. shrug

Your message appeared in rec.radio.amateur.homebrew and also
sci.electronics.cad. I am replying from homebrew. I'm not a
programmer despite once having several years complementary
membership in the ACM...or teaching myself FORTRAN IV from
Dan McCracken's softcover book on the subject. I have MS
FORTRAN 5.1 package, bought and paid for myself and have used
it for a variety of different tasks...until MS dropped support of
their
product and also of similar products in later versions of Windows.
shrug again

If you want to get all arrogant about computer languages, please
remove rec.radio.amateur.homebrew from your message routing.
In the meanwhile I will continue to do my own homebrewing
without going through even-more learning curves of old languages
or old OSs just to be with the 'best' tool. Even the 'best' tools can
make cruddy circuit calculations.

73, Len AF6AY