Old December 6th 07, 06:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default A Beginners Question

On Dec 5, 7:13 am, craigm wrote:
Dale Parfitt wrote:

Yes, for shortwave a 10-20 foot piece of wire can be used. You do not
need to spend a lot of money to get started. If noise is an issue, google
for 'shielded loop antenna'. You can also buy more expensive antennas.
Try,
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant.html

Why would a shielded loop receive less noise than, say, a classic wire
turn loop?

Dale W4OP

Dale,

I made no shielded loop vs. unshielded loop comparisons. My intent was to
give the beginner the idea that there are different types of antennas, and
by suggesting google, allow the OP to do some research on his own.

That being said, building a shielded loop implies the OP has shielded wire
which can also be used for the connection between the radio and the
antenna.

- This is probably better then building an unshielded loop
- out of speaker wire and using the same wire to connect
- the antenna to the radio.

Again, I gave the OP the opportunity to do some research.

On the other hand, I used a shielded loop in a previous
home as a random wire antenna was not an option.

craigm

Craig M.,

Actually Loop {Balance} Antenna make from Speaker-Wire and
using the same Speaker-Wire {Balanced} as a feed-in-line
is a fairly simple and practical Loop Antenna set-up.

Just like a "Split" Speaker-Wire Dipole Antenna using the
same Speaker-Wire {Balanced} as a feed-in-line is a
fairly simple and practical Dipole Antenna set-up.

Both can be very low cost and effective Shortwave Listening
(SWL) Antennas not requiring a Ground to give relatively
Good Signal Levels and Low Noise.

RadioShack - Recoton (SW-1850) 50Feet 18 AWG Speaker Wire
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2428008

iane ~ RHF