Old December 6th 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve Steve is offline

Default Eduardo - Has Working In Radio Cost You A Loan?

On Dec 6, 12:57 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message

All I want to know is who is going to ask him if he ever took "pay for
play"?

"Pay for Play" is legal. Payola is illegal.

Pay for Play is, essentially, selling ad time to a record label, booking a
contract, scheduling a song as if it were a commercial, and making sure that
the play was indentified as sponsored by the record label. No different than
running any other 3 or 4 minute spot.

Payola is the taking of money or consideration by a station employee in a
manner unknown and not approved by management for the play of a song or the
promotion of an enterprise. The key element is that the money does not go to
the station, but to an employee and the act is not authorized by an officer
of the licensee.

Pay for Play is authorized and accepted by management, but as a manager I
never accepted such deals as no station I managed accepted more than 60"
spots. Payola is the acceptance of money or consideration by a
non-management person to "slip a song on the air." It's illegal. I've never
done it, and know nobody who has been convicted or even indicted for doing
it, although as a kid I listened to Alan Freed, the DJ who was first
indicted for the practice in the 60's.

And of course, given that you've lied about practically every
conceivable aspect of your past history and work experience, we have
little reason to believe you. In fact, you seem a little too
interested in the topic of payola.