Old December 6th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.cad
Joel Koltner Joel Koltner is offline

Default "MARTHA" RF/Microwave CAD Using APL -- Free!

"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
I have, and I think it is a very nice tool. Perhaps the best of the
available spices. But because it is not a free tool (eg. open source)
I have to live with everything just the way that Mike Englehart
wants it to be.

He's certainly open to input from users, Chuck -- it's part of his job. No
guarantees he'd add something you'd want, of course, but in my opinion Mike is
going to be a lot more responsive to the average user than, say, Synopysys
would be if you asked them to add something to HSPICE.

That isn't a bad thing, but it is very limiting because
one day Mike won't be there to support LTSpice anymore, and LT will
decide that they haven't the funds to hire some new support, and it
freeze.

That's a rather pessimistic viewpoint. Worst case, LTSpice simply isn't
developed any more, but it'll then always still be just as good as it is the
day that happens.

To cease being supported is to die in software land.

Everyone and everything dies at some point...

MARTHA's source is open, and because anyone with the desire to
support it can, it will live forever.

Oh, come on... open-source software is, if anything, more likely to die than
most commercial software because there's usually no profit motive behind
keeping it alive. I realize that it's not quite the same in that open-source
software, even if "dead," can be "resurrected" at any time whereas that's
often not the case with commercial software... but there's plenty of
open-source software that's been "buried" for so long now the chance of anyone
resurrecting it rather than just coming up with a new "baby" from scratch is
remote.

---Joel