Old December 10th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
candy rosa candy rosa is offline

Default HD Radio

On Dec 2, 8:17Â*pm, IBOCcrock wrote:
On Nov 30, 11:14�pm, Telamon

wrote:
In article ,

wrote:
I found this very interesting regarding HD radio.

On Thursday the 22nd of March, 2007 the Federal Communications Commission
approved all facets of digital broadcasting in the USA. In particular, AM
stations will soon be authorized to begin 24/7 use of their first adjacent
frequencies for digital sidebands.

What this does is open the door to significant interference to all AM
stations. A 50kw clear channel station can run a digital transmitter at far
more power than would be authorized for any conventional station in that
location on those two adjacent frequencies. It will be interesting from a
rather perverse sense to see what happens at night..

Snip

The way HD is being implemented on the AMBCB band is a deliberate
attempt to disrupt talk radio, which is, besides the Internet the only
counter to the liberal controlled media.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Agreed - HD/IBOC is an attempt to destroy AM radio in order to move
the highly-successful news/talk/sports formats to FM because the FMs
are losing listeners to iPods, etc...- Hide quoted text -

Interesting prespective - but how did FM radio get so much pull?? Why
aren't we trying to save dying AM radio.?? Which radio gods decided
that AM was to die and FM was to live. I'm just a little confused
here -- if you are saying that AM is being scarificied to save FM,
then I have to wonder why AM was choosen to die. And I'm not even
being a smart ass here -- I just continue to be baffled by the whole
HD radio thing. I haven't personally listened to an HD station - so I
can't even attest to the better quality - but seems to me - the FCC
should want to keep all forms of communciation viable -- more tax
revenue, yada yada. Can you help me understand all this please??