Old December 11th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default HD Radio

In article
,
candy rosa wrote:

On Dec 2, 8:17Â*pm, IBOCcrock wrote:
On Nov 30, 11:14?pm, Telamon

wrote:
In article ,

wrote:
I found this very interesting regarding HD radio.

On Thursday the 22nd of March, 2007 the Federal Communications
Commission approved all facets of digital broadcasting in the
USA. In particular, AM stations will soon be authorized to
begin 24/7 use of their first adjacent frequencies for digital
sidebands.

What this does is open the door to significant interference to
all AM stations. A 50kw clear channel station can run a digital
transmitter at far more power than would be authorized for any
conventional station in that location on those two adjacent
frequencies. It will be interesting from a rather perverse
sense to see what happens at night..

Snip

The way HD is being implemented on the AMBCB band is a deliberate
attempt to disrupt talk radio, which is, besides the Internet the
only counter to the liberal controlled media.

Agreed - HD/IBOC is an attempt to destroy AM radio in order to move
the highly-successful news/talk/sports formats to FM because the
FMs are losing listeners to iPods, etc...- Hide quoted text -

Interesting prespective - but how did FM radio get so much pull??
Why aren't we trying to save dying AM radio.?? Which radio gods
decided that AM was to die and FM was to live. I'm just a little
confused here -- if you are saying that AM is being scarificied to
save FM, then I have to wonder why AM was choosen to die.

No. It's that news/talk is mostly on AM so it is the band being
disrupted. I can't make any sense of the approach taken implemented HD
on the AM band so I'm grasping for a reason.

And I'm not even being a smart ass here -- I just continue to be
baffled by the whole HD radio thing.

I'm with you on that.

I haven't personally listened to an HD station - so I can't even
attest to the better quality - but seems to me - the FCC should want
to keep all forms of communciation viable -- more tax revenue, yada
yada. Can you help me understand all this please??

HD quality is no better than analog.

I don't understand why things are this way so I can't help.

HD on AMBCB is one screwed up system.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California