Old December 12th 07, 07:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Smith John Smith is offline

Default Creating Large Ferrite Antenna tuned to 457khz range?

cmor wrote:

Thanks,
Chris

Oh yeah, somethin' Roy said, making the antenna "directional."

Lucky you, that ~1ft. long ferrite rod is a dream for it, use aluminum
foil shielding!

Just place some foil on the side(s) of the rod you have no interest in
getting a signal from.

If you doubt the effectiveness of this, wrap a 1ft. "circle" of foil
around the darn ferrite antenna (DON'T short the ends of the foil--so as
to complete a "shorted turn." And, you'll get a lot of silence with
this shield ... you might even find it works rather well. :-)

These guys, most likely, consider you a "slow cousin." Heck, I'll give
'ya the benefit of the doubt--you'll figure it all out--and, probably,
and most likely, quickly!

I like your questions, makes me remember when I played around with
similar stuff ... good luck!

Regards,
JS