Old December 12th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Smith John Smith is offline

Default Creating Large Ferrite Antenna tuned to 457khz range?

cmor wrote:
I'm a little at a loss as how to "chuck" a low noise mmic in front. I
thought these were reserved for higher frequencies.

Last time I used 'em, used a dc-to-1Ghz MMIC. But, a quick search of
net made your point hit home here, some begin bandwidth at 400+Mhz!
Maybe ebay, old stock?

I had trouble

finding much info as to how I could use one.

This device: (click on the data sheet link on the page.)

http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/data...UPC1651G.shtml

covers HF through UHF and is an example of the type of device I referred
to--in fact, this one may be usable for your needs (it is usually the
upper most freq that is limiting)--but, you should be able to find such
a unit, as this, which covers dc-1Ghz+ in its' specs.

This is a simple 4 terminal device: B+, Gnd, input, output ... your ant
to input, output to your front end ... simple!

I did find this little

guy as an alternative:

Amtel ATR5261
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/p...ts/doc4913.pdf

Appears like an interesting device, however, also looks "overly complex"
for your particular needs ...

Could I use that as a low noise amp?

Absolutely!

And to clarify, I could have some connection such as: antenna ----
lownoiseamp ------ MK484 ------ amplifier (LM386?) ------

speaker

Looks good! And, why not just "breadboard" it first, then commit to
hard wiring it; such as this breadboard:
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...p?number=G8534

Thanks for bearing with my limited knowledge. I think it could be
useful little deal if it ever turns out.

-Chris

The longest journey begins but with a single step--don't let anything
discourage you. A breadboard and some parts and you are almost there ...

Regards,
JS