Old December 14th 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Smith John Smith is offline

Default Creating Large Ferrite Antenna tuned to 457khz range?

cmor wrote:

A bit pricier as they came in a pack of 5, but it was all I could find
at the time. Hopefully they will work? I also ordered a breadboard
and all of the other parts as well. It ended up costing a small
fortune (with my income). Hopefully it pans out.

-Chris

Well, been there--where a dollar REALLY is a DOLLAR!

I am sure it will pan out, those are SMALL devices, make sure your small
soldering iron has a sharp tip!

I think you will like working with these devices. TV in my travel
trailer has a ant preamp I constructed using a similar device.
I have a preamp on a fm radio DLM antenna I constructed (88-108mc), I
kind of went crazy with 'em, for a period of time.

Becareful, they are voltage sensitive--don't exceed the rated B+, I
power mine off 3 AA cells, 4.5V with quite satisfactory performance.
Make sure you use the blocking cap between the MMIC and your front end,
one on the front end too--with a couple of spike protecting diodes to
protect the device is not a bad idea either--especially if the area you
are in is prone to lightening or there are high power xmitters in the
vicinity ...

Have any friends/family into electronics? Sell them the remaining
devices and get some of your investment back. devilish-grin

I have paid 3-5 dollars a device ... back a couple of decades they were
REALLY expensive.

Regards,
JS