Old December 18th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
candy rosa candy rosa is offline

Default HD Radio

On Dec 13, 7:38 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"craigm" wrote in message

David Eduardo wrote:

It sounds worse. It has a greasy XM-like sound to it.

Actually, it has CD-like sound. The difference is that analog FM has a
preemphasis curve, which is not used for HD.

David,

What does "CD-like" really mean?

It has audio that sounds like a CD, not FM analog, with the difference being
that anaalog FM is "colored" by the preemphasis curve.

Is it...
same noise level?
same frequency response?
same dynamic range?
same freedom from compression artifacts?
same distortion?
same skipping and pausing as I drive down a rough road?

The hype says like a CD, but never defines what it means.

A:B comparison of HD and a CD is nearly indistinguishable, but with Analog
FM it shows coloring.

See and that's something that has never impressed me -- I listen to
CD's - but golly, there is something lost here from the old time LP
era. I know CD's are cleaner, etc, but sometimes I don't want cleaner
- I want the sound as it was produced. Especially with the older
recordings. So, I think maybe this HD stuff might be like that -- but
as with CD's - I'm sure HD will eventually take off -- progress and
all. But that doesn't mean that it is necessarily better.

And the other thing that confuses me is -- I thought terrestial radio
stations had formats. HD seems to be touting - specific radio genre
-- well, isn't that what radio formats are all about.??