Old December 22nd 07, 12:43 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Jay in the Mojave Jay in the Mojave is offline

Default OT sorta - Icom 718

james wrote:

Sometimes mangers,as well as engineers, fall in love to much with
their designs and are very short sighted. They feel their designs are
better than others. This is kind of what I tried to get across. In the
end the management team is often held responsible for final decisions
on designs as their sucesses and failures.

Comparing consumer electronics to military hardware is not very
appropriate. Military hardware has the luxury of larger budgets and
one customer. Consumer Electronics is a design for an average of many
different users.

james

Hello James:

Sure some heads swell and arrogant egos soar. But those self center me
first types wanting a star placed next to their name will be at the cost
of reduced sales. Kind of like mangers who want only to emphasizer their
important and stardom at the expense of work crews. The real sin here is
their higher up mangers can't or don't see this. So the "Boys Club" is
in work.

The comparison of military electronic/systems to consumer electronics is
a great analogy. By this I mean if the mind bending operation of
cockpits can be made user friendly so can ham radios, scanners, cell
phones ect. The overly complex design of these consumer radios will soon
choke the manufactures in sales. Aircraft Customers appoint a "Prim
Contractor" to do all the finger pointing and take all the customers
product heat. Just try to point the finger at say tires and rims when
you buy them from separate stores. So it appears consumer electronics
manufactures lack a good product testing program, incorporating human
engineering, user friendly button-ology, and just plain common sense.

Ham radios, scanners, cell phones, and even my rice cooker can be made
much simpler to operate. The cost need not equal the button-ology in
functions times dollars, as in aircraft. But a hand full of
distinguished radio enthusiasts as I mentioned early, who could take one
of the radios as payment for their testing. So a inexpensive testing
process can be done quit quickly and easy.

Well got to haul....

Jay in the Mojave