Old December 24th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Keith Dysart[_2_] Keith Dysart[_2_] is offline

Default Standing-Wave Current vs Traveling-Wave Current

On Dec 24, 12:01*am, Cecil Moore wrote:
Richard Harrison wrote:
Keith Dsart wrote:
"Therefore, the forward and reverse waves can not be transferring energy
across these points."

Waves in motion are transporting energy no matter how their constituents
seem to add at a particular point.

We can make Keith's assertion true by the addition of one
word.

"Therefore, the forward and reverse waves cannot be transferring
*net* energy across these points. As Ramo and Whinnery say about
the forward and reflected Poynting vectors:

With an open circuited line, I agree that there is no
net energy transfer at any point on the line. At most
points on the line, there is energy sloshing back and
forth, but netting to zero.

My statement about those 90 degree points where the
voltage or current is always 0 is much stronger: NO
energy transfer.

This follows inexorably from P(x,t) = V(x,t) * I(x,t).

If you disagree with the general applicability of this
equation, please indicate when it can and can not be
applied.

...Keith