Old December 26th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore[_2_] Cecil Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Standing morphing to travelling waves. was r.r.a.a WARNING!!!

Jim Kelley wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:

What I said is the voltage and
current in a standing wave are *always* 90 degrees out of
phase and it is impossible to generate heat when the voltage
and current are 90 degrees out of phase.

So then shouldn't one expect coax to be heated uniformly along its
length at a high SWR?

No, any and all heat is work done by traveling waves, not
standing waves. As long as standing waves exist as standing
waves, they are incapable of doing work or heating anything.

You, of all people, should appreciate that since V*I*cos(90)
equals zero for standing waves, absolutely no work can be
performed by a standing wave. If the energy in a standing
wave is used to provide work, the standing wave ceases to
exist as it does at key-up.

In trying to get any work out of V*I*cos(90)=0, blood out
of a turnip comes to mind.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com